http://www.themodernquiltguild.com/

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

FINDING MY VOICE, FOUR

And we continue with Finding My Voice quilts. . .











Is It Modern?
68" x 89"
Original Design
Quilted by Jo McCluney
The new technique was the Dresden plate blocks started for a traditional quilt.  Two years later, I decided to try a modern traditionalism layout with asymmetry and expansive negative space.  Does it work???


And One Fell Off
52" x 58.5"
Original Design
Quilted by Sandi Suggs
Finally, a jump into modern quilt design.  A few de-structured blocks, some bold color, and expansive negative space created a design I love!  Yes, my quilts are talking!!  And, of course, you must have a sense of humor!

Opening the Door
36.5" x 36.5"
Design by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pedersen
Quilted by Sandi Suggs
Slice and Insert with improv piecing was leading me more into letting go of the rigidity of look-alike blocks.  Using a printed fabric for background made the batik units shine.  This wall hanging makes me smile!  Opening a door to many possibilities!


Lawn Chair Quilt
63.5" x 71"
Pattern by Moda Bake Shop
Quilted by Sandi Suggs
Welcome grey to my quilting palette.  I love how it sets off the print fabrics.


Roy G. Biv
24" x 35"
Original Design
This quilt was a "sketch" piece using the rainbow colors in an asymmetric setting with expansive negative space.  The organic straight line quilting adds another design element.

Just a Streak of Blue
25" x 20"
Original Design
Using quarter-square triangles and some improv design created this fun little "sketch" piece.  Love the organic straight-line quilting.



Springtime Gardens
44.5" x 39.5"
Inspired by Bonnie Hunter
My Grandmother's Flower Garden of hexagons turned into Springtime Gardens using bright colors.  It took three years to hand piece the table topper.  Another traditional pattern singing my tune!

My Texas Two Step
32 inches square
Design by Jean Ann Wright
This is a modern version of Courthouse Steps block using narrow and wide opposing strips.  The experiment in this quilt was using Kona solids in bright colors.

Still a few more quilts to come . . .

-sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment