Monday, November 9, 2015


It all started when a few of my small group were having a mini retreat in one of our homes and one of the girls pulled out this quilting book.  

We discovered that it would take twenty blocks to make the sampler.  Our plan turned into making two blocks each month and have all blocks completed by October and then set together and quilted by Christmas.

So I decided to make mine in solids, Kona Solids in particular.  I pulled out bunches of fabric from my stash and set it aside to "shop" from each month.  I did not have to add any fabrics except the background that I chose.  I did not have enough Kona Snow so I ordered a bolt.  No, this project did not need a bolt, but I use this all the time. Now I have plenty to work with.

So each month I made a practice block out of prints to demonstrate the technique.

At the same time I was making my own blocks out of the solids.

My blocks were finished by October and today I finished putting my top together.  My choice was to set them on point.  Then I added setting triangles and that made it large enough for my bed.

I will take it to my long arm quilter and have it quilted and then add my binding and do the happy dance!!!  I think it will be ready for Christmas.

By the way, those extra "practice" blocks will show up in another blog to let you know how they were used.



  1. I have that book but haven't started a project yet. Thanks for posting your lovely quilt top! That makes me want to dig into my stash and get started.

    1. I am working on two other projects from that book. It is a great book with lots of good projects.

  2. It's always impressive to see a project finished on time :)

    1. And, Mary, that and 24 other projects were completed last year amid work on two fund raisers and all my AQS duties.