http://www.themodernquiltguild.com/

Friday, November 16, 2012

IS THIS A SERIES?


In general, I do not make the same quilt pattern repeatedly.  However, this is my fourth Friendship Star Quilt.
The only other time that I have made multiple quilts from the same pattern was when I was teaching Beginning Level Quilting Classes. 
The pattern I chose to use was the Log Cabin and I ended up with several of these.  Each time I would teach the class I would think of another set of fabrics that I thought would look wonderful in that pattern.  Of course, the Log Cabin is another example of a value study quilt.  Each block is composed of a light side and a dark side.

The first Friendship Star Quilt I made was for a Value Play Workshop Retreat that I taught a few years ago.
This quilt was scrappy and I added a rather traditional border to it to give it a finished look. 
I loved this pattern and decided I wanted to make another one someday.


Recently my sister asked me to make a quilt for her to use as a gift for her son for Christmas.  This was the perfect opportunity to make a Friendship Star Quilt where I could use lots of scraps.  I wanted it to have a modern look so I omitted the borders. 


I also made another one.  When my daughter saw it she love it.  This one has fabrics in it that she remembers from other projects I have made over the years.  This is what is so special about scrappy quilts.  They often bring back wonderful memories.




Then I wanted to make a quilt as a thank you for a friend of ours who has been so helpful during my husband's hip replacement surgeries.  In this one I chose mostly browns and blues. 
Friendship Star seemed like the obvious pattern. 

Of course, now that I am on number four, it seems like a series.

  I laid out the blocks and carefully labeled them so that they would all go together in the proper arrangement.  Look closely and you will see that I turned one of the blocks the wrong way. 
I could tell you that that is a "design alternative" or that it is a "humility block".  But the truth is I made a mistake and I am not going to re-do this quilt. I did not see this until after the quilt was quilted and bound and posted to Facebook. 

 Oh, well, I know that our friend will enjoy this quilt and it will keep him warm even with one block that is turned wrong.  A life lesson I have learned is that perfection is not my goal.  Enjoying the journey and sharing my passion is.

This quilt made me smile and I think that it will make others happy.
I have made enough quilts using this pattern now.  My next quilts will use some other pattern.  Stop back by to see some of my other ideas.

                                          -sandi




6 comments:

  1. your quilt is beautiful, mistake and all! there is always beauty in imperfection! look at everyone around you. none are perfect, yet all are beautiful! i love seeing your work, sandi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie It is wonderful to be at a place in my life that I no longer strive to always be perfect. Striving to do my best is the goal now.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy that you pictured all of your quilts on the same page -- it's fun to compare and contrast them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes it easier to see the "design change" better. LOL
      Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sandi, love this quilt. Hope you can get pics to upload so we can watch your progress on Easy Street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rhoda, I am stil working on the pics. Glad you like this quilt!

    ReplyDelete