http://www.themodernquiltguild.com/

Friday, February 1, 2013

LET FEBRUARY BEGIN

February 1st has come and gone.  That day was devoted to wishing my daughter a special "Happy Birthday".
 
Now I am ready to talk quilts.  I am going to show you some of the projects that I have going that are all being done by hand.  These take me longer to do.  Hoping to keep an update of these projects as the weeks and months go along.
 
The first one is a pair of socks I am knitting.  This is only the second pair of socks I have ever made.  When I made the first pair I used one set of double pointed needles and made one sock at a time.  When I reached the end of the first sock and still had to do a second sock, it was a little harder to get myself going.  So, my solution to this was to use a discount coupon and buy another set of needles so I could do both socks at the same time.
I am trying to set aside about an hour or hour and a half about 3 mornings a week to work on this and then work on it again while I watch television with DH for Wheel and Jeopardy after dinner each night.  I am not a very fast knitter.
 
I am using this self-striping yarn and I tell myself that I will knit through a certain color then switch to the other sock and do the same thing.
So far it is working.
So you can see where I am as I start this month. Doing the heel is the next step.  I will do the heel on one sock then do it on the other sock.
 
  
The next project I am showing is an applique that was all done in needle turn method.  I used batiks and I love it.  This year I have sandwiched it and am hand quilting it.  This is the project to take to my hand quilting group that meets twice a month.  We are together for about 3 hours each time.  This will give me time to really make some progress on this little wall hanging and I will be able to finish it before the year is out.  After it is hand quilted I will add some buttons for embellishment.
 
Lil Bit likes to oversee things.  This project is about 24 inches square so this gives you a "little" idea about how small LilBit is. 
 
 
 
 
My third project is quite a large project.  It is my Hexie Star Table Topper in very contemporary colors.
 
I am choosing to work on this one when I get together with another of my hand groups.  We meet once a month for a few hours and during that time it is easy to work on the hexies.
 
 
 
 I have not worked on this since before Christmas, so I have a ways to go.
  
 
Well, this all sounds well and good.  Let's see if I stay focused and don't wander off on some other project.  Sometimes I get off track.  It reminds me of the way it is when I take LilBit for a walk.  She just has her nose to the ground and follows every scent she comes across.  That's why a harness and leash are important.  Too bad I don't have a harness and leash to keep me focused.
 
Stay tuned for updates.
 
 
-sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment