http://www.themodernquiltguild.com/

Friday, March 29, 2013

TRIADIC COLOR CHALLENGE

The triadic color challenge for Grateful Threads, my art guild, was due this week.  We were to choose a color on the color wheel and then look for its triadic partners.

My choice was yellow-green, red-orange, and red violet for the palette.  I went to the hardware store and found paint chips to use when I auditioned my fabrics.
Fabrics from my current stash were selected.  I had a wonderful batik that I had "saved" for a long time.  It was going to be perfect for this project.  I had an ample number of greens to choose from.
 
The bonus was that I had one fabric that had two of my colors in it already. I pulled several of my greens from the batik collection.  Then all that was left was the background fabric.  I had this wonderful creamy batik with a very subtle stylized tree pattern.  The picture does not do that fabric justice.

Next came the design.  I love trees and working with lots of trees.  One of my favorite trees is a weeping willow.  I had one in my yard when I was growing up and it was such a welcome spot to "crawl into" to read a book or just peer up through the branches and contemplate life.  After I was married and moved with my husband around and about I had several homes with weeping willow trees.  My daughter discovered the same fun when she was small.  She would take her doll and her doll blanket and play under the willow for hours.


A very simple tree was then prepped for fusible applique.  I made the leaves and then came the arrangement.


This design made me smile.  I loved using the asymmetrical borders and omitting the other two borders.
It is machine quilted using a stitch on my machine that is called "hand quilting stitch".  It is formed by using mono filament thread in the upper and placing a regular thread in the bobbin.  When I finished this I was so excited that the quilting over the tree looked like rain falling.
 
The quilting is straight line quilting spaced about 3/8" apart.  The backing fabric is a soft grey/cream toile pattern.

I thought that putting a regular binding on this piece would limit it on the edges.  I wanted the design to emphasize the infinity of the line; so I chose to use a facing.  I used the same fabric as the background.

To label this piece I wrote my name and the date and the name of the Challenge on the facing.  In an article I read recently, that author suggested that a quilter use cursive handwriting to sign her/his name so that in later years the person looking at the quilt would feel a more personal touch with the maker of the quilt.


Cannot wait to get this hung.  Have several spots in mind.  Just need to decide.


LilBit just wants me to get finished so we can take a walk on this beautiful afternoon.

                                                         -sandi




 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment