http://www.themodernquiltguild.com/

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

MAKING IT UP AS I GO

I have been working on a quilt top as a gift and it is due next month.  I had so many extra parts and pieces left:

that I decided to make a pieced back so I could use up all of this "girly" pastel-like fabric.  Maybe this will be an attempt at de-stashing.

It started with


combining a few units.


Then I put some units with more units


Now I have some bigger units.

Tried combining these to see what it would look like.
Okay, by now I am seeing lots and lots of seams.  Wonder how that is going to work when I start quilting it.  I was planning to quilt this on my mid-arm.  Ummm, don't know about that.


I kept working and working and working. . .

Now I have two large "panels" and the light bulb came on!  This is going to be another top!! 

  I am thinking I need to do a traditional back and piece 2 or 3 fabrics together and call it done for the original top.  Then get it quilted and wrapped!


I started a third panel and when I have it all put together  I will then decide how I want to assemble it.  It is reaching 60" x 70". 

This could be my first attempt at Quilt As You Go.  Will just have to see.  I am not sure if these panels are too large to handle as QAYG or not.  Back to doing some more research!!  Give me any tips you might have about this.

 I have had so much fun with Improv!!!  Thanks Joe Cunningham, Gwen Marston, and Victoria Findlay Wolfe for your inspiration!


                                           -sandi



 

3 comments:

  1. The "making it up as you go" is fun....a little scary at times, but fun. I like the big panels that are turning into another (surprise!) top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun. Pretty colors, too.

    ReplyDelete