http://www.themodernquiltguild.com/

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

ROAD TRIP

Today was a beautiful day with lots of sunshine and clear blue skies.  The best part was taking a road trip with a couple of my buddies.

Our friend invited us to her new "home area" for a shop hop of the local quilt shops.  She is moving to this area soon and wanted to share with us the places she will be hanging out.

Our first stop was at Decherd Needleworks.  A fellow named Jim owns this shop and all the quilts and needlework on display were made by him.  Upstairs is where Jim quilts on his long arm machine for his customers and where he has his living quarters.

This is downtown on Main Street.  I love these old buildings.
Across the street was this old church.  I love the architecture.

Inside the shop was a treasure trove of fabrics to choose from.  The rustic setting was so inviting and the walls were covered with finished quilts and needlework.


See the old brick walls?








We went across the street to have lunch at Jackson's.  It is a Mom and Pop Meat and Three kind of restaurant with lots of locals having lunch with us.


After lunch we headed out to see where our friend's new home will be.
Isn't this drive in beautiful?  Reminds me of the Great Smoky Moutains roads or the road around the Ocoee River.

This is absolutely gorgeous!!!  Listening to the waterfalls was so restful.  There is even a bench on an overlook where I could sit and quilt all day if I were invited.

This would be the most pleasant place to sit and stitch and listen to the birds and the waterfalls.

This old chimney greeted us as we approached the house.  It is a remnant of the original homestead.
The house is nestled into this little woodsy nook.

On our drive out we passed a deer grazing beside the driveway. There were several deer in the area.  I just love to see animals in their natural environment.  There is something so peaceful about that.




The next stop was another quilt shop over in Tullahoma.
The ladies in this shop were so friendly and helpful.  They had some great quilts on display.


This one of batiks used a free form cutting technique.











These little houses were so crisp and clear.  The Snowman applique beside it made me start thinking about Christmas gifts that I need to begin.


Needless to say, we did our share of shopping in both stores.


This is my little stack of colors that I bought to finish out my collection of brights.

What a fun day we had!  Can hardly wait for next time!!

Thanks Carol and Phyllis for a super great day!!!!

                                     -sandi

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a wonderful time.....love the new picture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the experiences you and your friends had on the road trip. What a lovely setting for your friend's house.

    I like what you selected to add to your brights collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you are following me on my Fabric Rep Trek! Be sure to mention that their Blank fabric rep was bragging about their shops. Glad you had a good time. --Veronica
    www.FiberAnticsbyVeronica.com

    ReplyDelete