http://www.themodernquiltguild.com/

Monday, July 23, 2012

WIP #2 FINISHED

This is what the project looked like when I pulled it out of THE drawer.  You know the drawer I mean --  the one that has parts and pieces as well as almost completed projects stacked in it. Those "I will finish that one of these days" projects.
It was obvious I did not have enough of all of the fabrics to do a conventional finish around the border edges.  This might have been the reason  it was not finished earlier.

By playing around with it I was able to come up with a little bit of a funky finish for the upper left corner.  I only had a piece about 8" x 16" of that fabric to work with.  Good ole Kona Black cotton to the rescue.
I really depend on my Kona Black, Kona Snow, and Kona White fabrics to be my work horses.  I have most of the other colors in the Kona line that I use often, too.  Anytime I want a little extender that is a little "out of the box" those are good fabrics to use.


I spent a great deal of time rotating this finished top.  I took lots of photographs and flashed them up on my computer.  I tried some other fabrics to see if I wanted to make it any larger than it is.

The finished measurement on this is 39" square - more or less.


Backs of quilting projects have become another canvas for me and this project was no exception.  I started adding leftover fabrics in a "log cabin manner" to get the size I needed.

I incorporated my label into the layout as I went along.  Lately I have been adding my labels before quilting and then just quilting through them.

I have no illusions of grandeur that someone would steal one of my quilts and remove the label and call it their own.  However, I do want the documentation to stay on the quilt for its lifetime.  Some of these quilts might just get passed down through the generations of my family, or, they might end up in an estate sale or a flea market.  Isn't that where we find some of the "jewels" we collect?

  Of course, I am sure the conversation might go like this when discussing my quilts: 
First relative or observer:  "Whatever was she thinking when she made this back?"  
Second relative or friend of relative:  "Well, I have no idea, but she might have been a fun gal to get to know."

At least I know that I had fun when I made it.

See that little white rectangle?
That is my label:

                            Hand written with a Pigma Pen.

Now on to making the sandwich, quilting, and binding it.


Love my dining room table for laying out my smaller projects.


I decided to quilt it somewhat on the diagonal but not in perfectly straight lines.  I also wanted there to be some asymmetry in the quilting since the blocks were already asymmetrical.

I used a strip of masking tape to find my place from opposite side to the other so I could do the wavy line quilting and still end up where I meant to be.






I am a fan of Kokopelli and he looks perfect joining in with the music of the "band" in the lower right.  All those instruments in the fabric used in the lower right corner remind me of a band getting ready to go on a football field to perform.  The upper left are the notes coming from the "band".  The quilting simulates the echoes of the sound.





WIP # 2 for July is complete.  What a good feeling!


                                    -sandi







8 comments:

  1. Sandi that turned out so awesome! Love your Kokopelli...they were made to be together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi this was meant to be. he quilt is wonderful. And yes you are a fun gal to know....congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, Sharon, I owe it all to you for encouraging me to go on and write a blog.

      Thank you, dear friend.

      Delete
  3. Awwww ~ ~ I love a good convergence and the music theme seems just right ~ ~ All hung and set off with Kokopelli ~ ~ made to order by one "FUN" and clever "gal"! I love it. and thoroughly enjoy a morning break with you whenever I get to "read all about it" ~ ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kara, for stopping by and leaving such sweet and encouraging comments.

      Delete
  4. I want to look and look again. This turned out like I thought it might when I saw in the beginning stages.. Deconstrutionism in architecture and music. Late 20th century and now 21st century. Base, middle and top with but not the traditional. John Cage and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Lucy. I might need to do a little research on Deconstructionism. I am vaguely familiar with the term.

      Delete